Thursday, April 2, 2009

Art and Lies: Parts 1 & 2

Although I found the first two chapters of Art and Lies to be fascinating, I enjoyed our thought provoking class discussion on Wednesday even more! I have always wondered whether or not I would end up happy in life. The possibility of making bad choices in college regarding my major and the activities I choose to spend my time on is scary. Luckily, I have figured out what is important to me and what it would take to make me feel genuinely happy in my career. I think it is interesting that when certain students think 'business major' they think the worst of things. By some, it is assumed I've been pressured to choose a fate filled with money and greed. Fortunately for me, this is not true! Although I am sure there are many CEOs hating their lives, there are probably even more who do not. It is sad to me that there is a common assumption that if someone is not always 100% in touch with their inner self, they are lost and doomed to be miserable. As an accountancy major, I feel completely comfortable with myself and my future ambitions, most of which do not revolve around money at all.

I know that in order to be happy with my career I would need to use my skills in business to help an organization I believe in to grow and prosper. It has taken me a long time to realize that this is what it would take for me to find some kind of meaning in my job. Also, because family is the most important thing in my life, my plan is to be as balanced as possible. Although I am aware of the view that business people are workaholics, I honestly can't see this as a reality for myself.

Another common misconception is that those who choose the type of path as mine have done so to follow in their parents footsteps. In my situation, this is far from the truth. It may seem impossible but I have a true interest in my major and feel excited to graduate and begin working! I may not have everything figured out for myself but I think I've come along way and that I am exactly where I need to be at this point in time. As long as each of us is able to decide what is it that makes us happy, we should be free to live our lives the way we choose.

No comments:

Post a Comment