Thursday, February 5, 2009

Wuthering Heights: Heathcliff


Analysis of Main Character: Heathcliff

In my past experiences reading Wuthering Heights, Healthcliff has always caught my attention as being the most interesting character in the novel. This time around, the same is true. His love for Catherine makes him seem to be very caring and loving but he shows no real signs of being the good guy overall. Throughout the first ten chapters, the reader feels sorry for him for being mistreated by his newly found family. I caught myself hoping that Heathcliff and Catherine would rekindle their childhood love. I cannot imagine how it must have felt for him to overhear Catherine telling Nelly that she would never be able to marry him and instead is planning to marry someone else. I picture him as being big and strong, the typical hero, who will save Catherine and the other servants from Hindley.

No comments:

Post a Comment