Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The Tale of a Monster

The monster's tale makes me feel sad for him as well as mad towards Victor. Reading about how the monster felt abandoned and was left to learn all things about human life and language on his own seemed like a story of lonely perseverance. Not only does his story show how intelligent and gifted he is, it gives him a sense of character. It is a sad story because even though he is in this case considered a monster, to me he is much more humanlike than not. His life means just as much as any other life created by another human being. He has the same parts and the same mental capacity which makes him seem like a depressed and lonely child. These descriptions are typically only used to describe people; this leads me to once again see him as more of a human than a monster.

Apart from the sympathy I feel towards the monster, I feel even more angry with Victor than I had in the beginning of the novel. I feel that it would be the equivalent to a women wanting a child and hoping to finally get pregnant and then choosing to abandon the child once it is born. The monster was not an unexpected mistake and he was not forced upon Victor by someone else. Victor chose to make this life and just like parents choosing to have a child, should have to take responsibility for it. The monster's story adds an angle to the novel and at this point, I would take the monster's side over Victor's for more than one reason!

No comments:

Post a Comment