Monday, March 30, 2009

Art and Lies: A funny sort of relationship...

Although I am not exactly sure what Jeannette Winterson had in mind as far as the relationship between the two key terms in the title of Art and Lies, I have come to a few conclusions as to how the two terms may be related. Firstly, their definitions are vague. What could be considered a lie to one person may not be a lie to someone else just like a piece of art to one person may have no value whatsoever to another.

On the other hand, lies are hurtful - in most cases. They are the result of someone hiding the truth from another. Lies have the purpose of hiding what is real most likely because it is hurtful to someone else. This description, which I have come up with, is very different from that of art.

From what I know of art, it is meant in part to represent reality or at least some person's vision of the truth. The two terms, art and lies seem to be opposite to me. Art can show more truth than words themselves. Art is also a way for people to express themselves and it has the power to show others the truth about the person who creates it. It seems that it would be difficult to lie through art. I find the words to be very opposite and see art as a way to possibly undermine lies. Art can be a way of seeing the truth and in many cultures, I believe it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment